FMS Social Studies
The Social Studies curriculum in FMS conforms to New York State's framework for Social Studies:
- Grade 5 focuses on the geography, countries, political systems, and peoples of the Western Hemisphere (North America, Mesoamerica, Caribbean, and South America).
- Grade 6 addresses the Eastern Hemisphere, examining the Neolithic, River Valley Civilizations, Comparative Religions, the Mediterranean World, and interactions among the regions of the Eastern Hemisphere.
- Grades 7 and 8 explore topics of US history.
- Grade 7 covers the period from the exploration of the New World into the Colonial period, the American Revolution, and the growth of the country up through the Civil War / Reconstruction.
- Grade 8 picks up from the Civil War through the 21st century.
In all grades students develop skills ("Social Studies Practices") necessary for mastering the content in Social Studies: (1) gathering, interpreting, and using evidence; (2) chronological reasoning; (3) comparison and contextualization; (4) geographic reasoning; (5) economic systems; and (6) civic participation.
If you would like to know more about specific topics addressed in the classroom, please contact your child's individual Social Studies teacher.
Kyle Case firstname.lastname@example.org
Shannon Gray grayS@hohschools.orgLisa Wolk Kilion email@example.comSarah Schnall firstname.lastname@example.orgGrade 6Alexis Jones email@example.comBarbara Richman firstname.lastname@example.orgGrade 7Dom Cecere email@example.comDevita Cruz firstname.lastname@example.orgGrade 8Dom Cecere email@example.comJoan Paradis firstname.lastname@example.org